Friday, March 13, 2009

On a Lighter Note

My time in India has been full of thought-provoking, perception changing experiences, however, its not all serious all the time; dumb, funny, and ridiculous things happen everyday. I don't have the time to talk about them all, but here are a few funny experiences off the top of my head and a few funny pictures I happened to capture. Some of you may not get all the following, sorry for any "inside" jokes. And for the elderly ones reading this, sorry if you find anything vulgar, haha.

  • People are often shocked that I am from America since I am so skinny, and I hence get told many ways to "make my body strong". Some interesting facts I did not know before, haha- Ghee (butter) builds muscles, sugar makes you strong, and exercise is not necessary. One auntie went so far as to say that Indian kids could beat up American kids, because all Americans eat is cheese, and Indian kids eat thick rotlis (unleavened bread) and lots of ghee.
  • I got a new pair of glasses in India, and a week later, while riding in a Rickshaw, I leaned over to tell the driver where to go, we hit a pot-hole, my glasses fell off my face, and the Rickshaw ran over them... (I think some of you know what website this might could go on)
  • Poverty is obviously not funny, but one day while I was riding through Thaltej gham (a slum-type area I ride through everyday), on the side of the busy road, a Camel was awkwardly spreading its back legs, taking a dump. Right next to the camel was a little kid in the third world squat also taking a dump. He had the BIGGEST smile on his face as he took care of business, watching the cars and rickshaws go by. Ah, the universal joy of relieving oneself.
  • On Holi (the colorful Indian festival where everyone throws colored powder and water on each other) we were returning from lunch at Sarang's auntie's house, and a car pulled up next us (while we were riding in the Rickshaw), and threw a bucket of bright red water on our rickshaw driver. His white shirt was completely covered in bright red. The hero honda sneak attack!!!
  • I walked by a McDonalds filled with families, little kids to their grandparents, and Kelis's unedited "My Milkshake Brings all The Boys to the Yard" was blaring inside and outside the restaurant... I wondered if anyone knew what the song meant, it was really awkward.
  • At the ashram, we wash our own clothes by hand. So I was in the third-world squat at the outside faucet/drain (the Indian "cleaning sink"), washing my clothes for the first time. I was beating my clothes out with what looked like a piece of drift wood in the shape of a small cricket bat/paddle, when I looked up to find 5-6 of the ashram help (cleaners, cook, errand boy) hysterically laughing, shaking their heads, and cackling something in gham varu Gujarati (village dialect), "he doesn't know how to do it!" Even the little 10 year old girl was laughing hysterically. I was using the piece of wood that you are supposed to sit on as a platform to put my clothes while raising the paddle over my head to bang on my clothes as hard I could (making a horrendously loud noise). Water was splashing everywhere, and I was half soaked squatting in the prime "dumping" position ... I'm sure it was a ridiculous sight...
  • My new favorite Indian threat: "Aye duffer! Should I put a slap?!!" (apply Indian accent)
  • Some interesting/ funny pictures:
WE DON'T PLAY GAMES


JOHN DEER TRACTOR... INDIAN STYLE!
Anyone who knows anything about the Indian government knows how ridiculous this statement on the Karnatika state capital is:
DAAA 'CHIKAGO' BULLS
HALLO HALLO!! Ardaaaa! Take my photo yaar!
(The guy in the maroon was doing a sweet chest shimmy)

Mommy, what am I wearing??
"Our clothes will make you 10 shades fairer!"



WOW...you serious??


In India, its rude NOT to honk your horn




1 comment:

  1. hahahah i love it. This is what i miss :(

    ReplyDelete